Bigger front crank, speed increase

Jan 20, 2021 - 3:46 PM

Viewed 304 times

• I recently made some mods to my drivetrain and wanted to share this one in particular. I wanted to be able to cruise just a bit faster while also putting in just a bit more effort. To do that, I replaced the front crank with a 46 tooth sprocket (from the stock 42, so it required me to replace the chain as well but that's a maintenance piece anyway).

Of course I had to fool the controller so I changed the setting for the wheel size to be one size down, so it still provides a bit of assist when I'm cruising at this slightly faster speed.

I've only taken a short test ride but so far so good!

46t_crank.jpg

• Hi Mason,

I also wanted to fit a 46t on my AM1+ but my local bike shop told me I couldn't for reasons below:

• chain alignment would be off at crank due to new crank design pushing crank further out than it currently is

• cable to the motor not long enough (apparently the rear wheel needs to be moved further back to accommodate the larger chain?)

Did you encounter any of these issues during or after your modification? Also would you mind linking the crank set you used if possible? And any updates on performance post mod?

Thanks a tonne!

• I Ahmed (@iahmed):
    Hi Mason,
    I also wanted to fit a 46t on my AM1+ but my local bike shop told me I couldn't for reasons below:
    Did you encounter any of these issues during or after your modification? Also would you mind linking the crank set you used if possible? And any updates on performance post mod?
    Thanks a tonne!

Hi - I have changed mine with no problems. Chain alignment is just a matter of getting the correct chain ring/crank but to be honest if you are keeping the same bottom bracket its really unlikely to be an issue. I have two AM1+ (mine and my wife's) and there is no problem with cable length within the range that the back wheel can be moved.