Security bolts

Aug 17, 2020 - 9:11 PM

Viewed 1010 times

• I'm looking for a solution to secure the biking parts. So far I have find the Hexlox https://hexlox.com/ .

Did someone know this solution? And can't understand if for the handle bar, do it need 1 hexlox or one on each bolt?

Cécile

• I haven't yet, but am considering this too. Hexlox looks pretty expensive, I'll probably install the Ixow version

https://www.ixow.com/en/univers/protection-contre-le-vol/

• Pretty cool.

But there is 2 problems I think: some are not in stock and if I understand well the nutbold diameter is not enough large. 10 vs 15.

As for the price:
    Ixow 28x3 = 84 ( wheels and seat post)
    Hexlox fixie set 69 discounted, 76 otherwise
    Hexlox Total bike 76 (SADDLE LOCK, SEAT POST LOCK, WHEEL LOCK, FORK & STEM LOCK)

It seems from what I just read on the fixie presentation that there is not need to put an Hexlox on each bolt. One might suffice by bike part.

The 15mm nutbolt isn’t standard at all. It isn’t neither on the Hexlox products, and all the bike tool kit propose a 10 spinner not a 15.
    Another solution is the nutlock, but it’s the same problem.

This post was edited Aug 22, 2020 10:12AM
  • It’s not the size of the nut that you need to measure for the hexnut but rather the diameter of your axle.

I don’t have the bike yet but would bet that it is compatible with one of the hexnut sizes.

Also you could probably get away with doing that on the front wheel only. I assume you would be locking your rear wheel/frame so adding a security nut there is redundant.

• Thanks @michalisanastasiou.

Anyone know the diameter of the rear axe?
    I measure the front it’s 9mm but I don’t have the tool for the rear.

• I asked AM a while back but got no reply. They since did add all dimensions you need for the rest of the hexlox in their manual with the exception of the wheel axle.

• Since you two have already received your bikes, could you tell us what kind of axles the bikes have? I have asked AM support but not receive a response.

I am guessing that they are standard quick-release-style hollow axles, just with hex nuts instead of QR?

Or are they solid or thru axles?

• I measured mine, it's an AMX Mini though.
    9 mm front
    11 mm back

They are classical hex nuts that can be remove on both sides and replaced by whatever you like, provided you find the right size. I haven't seen this size (11 mm) with Hexlox or Ixow.
    And of course, rear means the pricey wheel, would be pretty dumb not being able to protect it.

• Cécile Sow:
    As for the price:
    Ixow 28x3 = 84 ( wheels and seat post)
    Hexlox fixie set 69 discounted, 76 otherwise
    Hexlox Total bike 76 (SADDLE LOCK, SEAT POST LOCK, WHEEL LOCK, FORK & STEM LOCK)

that's not quite right.
    The Ixow will get you 2 bolts per wheel for that price (but doesn't have 11 mm), the Hexlox fixie set will get you 2 bolts total for 69, almost double the price for 4. You'll have to add the seat post and saddle lock anyway, which is very pricey again.
    The Ixow saddle lock can for instance be easily found for 19.
    As for the Hexlox total bike, that won't bring you anywhere as you'd need the right bolts already which you won't without buying some.

All in all Hexlox is much more expensive for sure, but maybe also the better solution, that I don't know as I haven't tested either one.

• @seb I don’t understand your calculations:
    Ixow : why 2 bolts by wheels ? the price of 1 gravity bolt is 27,9. You’ll need one for each wheel and 1 seatpost lock at the same price. 27,9 x3
    Hexlox : why would I have to buy the rights bolts ? There is a size Hexlox for each bolt size.

And are your sure for the 11 mm? analog said all the components are standards, so logically the rear bold should be M9, M10 or 3/8” (3/8 is around 9,5mm).

Also do someone know the seat post lock diameter? I think it’s 31,8.

• 2 others

Abus nutfix : 24,5 x 3 another gravity system like the ixow ( try it, my advice don’t buy).

Kryptonite wheelznut : 27, no seatpost

This post was edited Sep 8, 2020 09:25PM
  • @Cécile The seat post lock diameter should be 34.5. At least this is what @claudiosabia found on the seat post lock itself and related in the post below. You should be able to check very easily.
    https://analogmotion.com/community/forums/forums/5092/topics/18607/page/1#post-86978
    Hope it helps.

• The socket required for rear wheel nuts is 19mm that means it is an M12 thread under there. Quite big by bike standards but then this is an ebike.

• Cécile Sow:
    @seb I don’t understand your calculations:
    Ixow : why 2 bolts by wheels ? the price of 1 gravity bolt is 27,9. You’ll need one for each wheel and 1 seatpost lock at the same price. 27,9 x3
    Hexlox : why would I have to buy the rights bolts ? There is a size Hexlox for each bolt size.
    And are your sure for the 11 mm? analog said all the components are standards, so logically the rear bold should be M9, M10 or 3/8” (3/8 is around 9,5mm).
    Also do someone know the seat post lock diameter? I think it’s 31,8.

Well for sure one bolt will do, but it is definitely pricier with hexlox, no matter what.
    I find it nicer with 2 bolts of the same design, plus it will most likely tell any thief to get to another bike faster if they see a secure system on both sides. But that's personal feeling.

Well because you mentioned the Hexlox total bike so I had a look at this kit. This sentence only referred to this of course, but for me the Hexlox total bike is out of the game.
    This is only giving you the magnetic insertion part for the bolts. But then you need bolts with an allen hole, which the bike doesn't have. So if you go with that kit you need to change you bolts.

I have measured the rear with a caliper so pretty sure it was more than 10 yes, but can have another look sometime to check as someone mentions it's even a 12. It is pretty heavy duty with the 19 mm bolt to remove though.

The seat post on my bike clearly mentions 34.9, so I don't think there should be any debate about that.

• well well, I got my Ixow M9.. and they are too small.
    I returned them, but am puzzled now. Turns our I must not know how to use callipers correctly... I measure again and it definitely shows 9 and the scale is mm...
    Given I used the same callipers to measure the back I would not bet too much on the 11mm I measured and it would possibly be 12 mm at the back.
    But it could actually as well be 3/8 at the front as this is fairly close to 9.

Long story short: could someone from Analog Motion please post the exact sizes of the front and back axles bolts for all models ? (mine being an AMX mini this may not necessarily be the same on others I guess)

I haven't found any 12 mm secure bolts, not sure this even exists. This would probably lead to needing 12 mm Allen bolts for the back and put hexlox in there...

This post was edited Sep 9, 2020 08:10PM
  • Yeah would be good to get an answer.

I emailed their support on 09 June, still waiting to hear back...they will get back to me as soon as they can apparently, 3 months later they have yet to manage.

• Hi everybody,

I finally order abus nutfix size m9 and m10.

And after trial :

• front wheel is m10

And effectively the rear must be m12.

So no solution to secure the rear wheel.

Otherwise: I’m not happy at all with the nutfix : doesn’t work at all.

It’s really bothersome and expansive to have to try each accessories because the amx isn’t finally as standard as announced, with no specifications.
    So far I had to return:

This post was edited Sep 8, 2020 09:30PM
  • Thanks Cécile for confirming about the front.

I guess l might order the Ixow M10 then, even though I'm not totally convinced by the principle of the gravity thing. Not sure how safe it is.

What is it you don't like about the Nutfix ?

• Jack responded to my email inquiry about the nut sizes. He mentioned that the front wheel is M10 and the rear is M12. He also said to confirm for myself but hopefully this will give everyone a starting point.

• What is it you don't like about the Nutfix ?

It does’nt work at all. Even with bike vertical I could unscrew the bolt.