Fixed - No pedal assist

Sep 17, 2020 - 2:57 PM

Viewed 443 times

• Hi all,
    So I took my bike to a repair shop to have the bottom bracket tightened up. Unfortunately just this simple task of tightening up the bracket broke the sensor inside and now I have no pedal assist.
    I have been in contact with AM support and they have said that they will send out a new bracket with sensor so I can go back to the cycle shop again and have it fitted... 8 weeks now I've had this bike and it's yet to work as advertised...

Anyway... I have a throttle on my bike and that still works. So I have at least been able to use the bike but only gaining assistence from the motor when I use the throttle.
    I have to say this has made the bike much more fun than the pedal assist and throttle combination it arrived with.
    Here's why, I can set the max speed to 33KPH, use the throttle to help me get off the line and ease off the throttle as I reach 25kph... I can happily cycle along flat ground at this speed un assisted. But if I do need a little boost I just use the throttle. Slight hill? No problem use the throttle....

The battery lasts way longer using this technique too.

So now I'm not sure I want to fix the broken pedal assist.... I think AM should consider a throttle speed limit that's different to the pedal assist speed limit.

• Hi @mattlowery - thats really interesting. Tempted to give it a go (the crank sensor can be unplugged easily). Also sort of a case of “two wrongs” have actually made a right! No way should the bracket have been loose and clicking. No way the bike shop should have trashed the sensor (I am the one who posted the tightening fix and it is ham fisted to disturb the sensor). But then you have an interesting riding experience at the end of it!!

• @mattlowery - did you stick to just using the throttle? Or go back to the crank sensor. Just interested to hear. I have been riding mine just using the throttle and quite liked it but did go back to the sensor - more on account of being a bit lazy I think!

• Hi Matt, the pedal sensor is installed in such a way that it can be damaged by incorrect removal - it's a simple part to replace and fix and by the sounds of it you have now received the replacement BB and you should be good to go. Check out the guide here: https://analogmotion.helpdocs.io/article/e2t01o06j7-amx-bottom-bracket-service

• CJM1066:
    @mattlowery - did you stick to just using the throttle? Or go back to the crank sensor. Just interested to hear. I have been riding mine just using the throttle and quite liked it but did go back to the sensor - more on account of being a bit lazy I think!

Sorry about the late reply.

I've decided to stick with no pedal assist and just throttle. I'm really enjoying the bike like this... And the battery lasts ages!