Rear wheel setup and resistance

Aug 28, 2020 - 2:59 PM

Viewed 316 times

• Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone can provide instructions for how the rear wheel can be removed for maintenance, flat repair etc. Haven't seen anything in the setup guide or user manual.

Also is it normal for the rear wheel to have some resistance to spinning when on a stand? Whilst setting up my bike, i noticed that wheel stops spinning fairly quickly unlike my regular road bike. Is this normal or a symptom of rear brake rub or something else?

Thanks!

• There will certainly be more resistance (from motor) than a road bike. To see if its brake rub then just back off the brake adjuster (frame side) and disconnect cable. If it runs a lot more freely then you had brake rub. I tend not to obsess about getting the brakes 'perfect'. On AMX there is so much power there the loss of 0.5W against having the brakes a little bit rapid is a trade off I am happy with!

• @karlmascarenhas - I really don't think there is anything to it other than .... undo the nuts and remove the wheel. With the AMX vertical dropouts it is as easy as that. For replacement I find having the bike upside down on the floor helps (gravity assists in holding the wheel whilst the nuts are tightened).

This post was edited Aug 28, 2020 04:23PM
  • CJM1066:
    @karlmascarenhas - I really don't think there is anything to it other than .... undo the nuts and remove the wheel. With the AMX vertical dropouts it is as easy as that. For replacement I find having the bike upside down on the floor helps (gravity assists in holding the wheel whilst the nuts are tightened).

Thanks! Does'nt anything need to be disconnected on the motor?

• CJM1066:
    There will certainly be more resistance (from motor) than a road bike. To see if its brake rub then just back off the brake adjuster (frame side) and disconnect cable. If it runs a lot more freely then you had brake rub. I tend not to obsess about getting the brakes 'perfect'. On AMX there is so much power there the loss of 0.5W against having the brakes a little bit rapid is a trade off I am happy with!

I see. OK, I'll see if backing off the brake adjuster makes any difference. I've also noticed that when i set the assist level to 0, i can still feel some resistance that seems to vary...almost like the motor is still providing some power or resistance to the rear wheel. Is that normal?

• @karlmascarenhas re disconnecting motor. Sure there is a big connector to unplug (on rear dropout) if you want to completely remove wheel but I reckon you can change a tube without doing that. Guess it depends what you have in mind in terms of maintenance!