no odometer, no speed indication, automatic shutdown

Aug 26, 2020 - 9:49 AM

Viewed 1212 times

• Hi everyone,

My bike does not display the speed while I ride and the odometer remains at 0 km, no matter the distance. I checked in the led display options that the diameter of the wheel is set and it is indeed the case. Changing the value to 28 inches rather than 27 doesn't solve this problem.
    Additionally, I have weird behaviors such as the display randomly shutting down while riding or lights being always on (even with led display off) until I shut down through the red battery button.
    I checked that the battery is firmly inserted all the way, but it does not solve the problem. Anyone having the same problem? Any idea of how to debug it or identify the source of the problem?

Thank you for your help

• @Gol - nobody on here appears to have that issue. Just a suggestion. Try unplugging lights and see if that makes any difference (suspicious that the lights can draw power independently of display and would seem to point to a short on the lighting circuit)

• @gol, are you sure the wiring to the light and the display are correct ? Does your permanent light issue also occur with the rear light ?
    I am not an expert but it seems to me that a possible cause could be a wrong wiring connection to the light and the display...

• Thank you for your suggestions. I unplugged the lights, the display stayed on during the short test ride I could have, but the odometer is still not working.
    I checked the connections with the lights which seem fine to me but the power leak to the lights is always present when they are connected: if I manually turn off the front light, the backlight turns on.
    Do you have any ideas about the odometer? I don't even know how the electric assistance can work if the bike is not able to estimate my riding speed...
    I'm beginning to wonder if the display is not simply the faulty part that causes these weird behaviors, what do you think?

This post was edited Aug 27, 2020 09:45AM
  • Hi @Gol. Can you post a video? First thoughts. Sometimes the display take a few moments to start registering speed. But fundamentally it sounds like a light wiring issue. I am thinking rear light .... If its not just right the bare connector can touch the frame or something else. That going to cause problems for sure. Perhaps remove your seat post and show us a picture of the wiring?

• Thank you for the suggestions ! I removed the seat post and checked if there could be a problem with that. Unhappily, I found nothing wrong there in terms of wiring or else. Here is a link to the pictures of the wiring and two short videos of the problems :
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/UMzbYbkQZsL829BfA

If you have any other ideas of things to check, don't hesitate to share !

• @Gol Still seems to present itself as a fault on wiring circuit (a guess since I don't know for sure - but that flashing rear light is wrong).. Photo 3 shows damage to insulation (I can see metal there that could short). So try a bit of insulation tape over that whole insulated section. What happens if you disconnect just the rear light? Are the connections into the light itself OK for example. I would be inclined to remove rear light from circuit and see what happens.

• I did disconnect the rear light but it changes nothing. The leakage then goes to the front light.
    I'll try to cover the piece of photo 3, but given how it is stuck in the frame, there seems to be a very little probability that it touches anything metallic (it is surronded by cables).
    (edit: I just covered it, still got the same issue)

This post was edited Aug 30, 2020 05:56PM
  • Can you confirm that with ALL lighting disconnected you still have the issue with no speed read out?

• Yes, this what I tried last friday to go to and from work. Same problem !

• @Gol OK - I think you have eliminated lighting as a cause (either problem with lights, their connection or the circuit in the bike). So its beginning to look like a display issue. I think all you can do is contact support and see if they can send you a replacement display to try. Where are you based?

• Yes, that's what i fear too. I'm based in France, that'd be great to get one to check.
    Thanks @CJM1066 and Christophe92 by the way for your help in debugging!

This post was edited Aug 30, 2020 07:56PM
  • @Gol, I am also in France in the Paris area, where are you ?
    If we can meet we could try to switch your display with mine..

• @christophe92 I'm in Bordeaux. Too bad, it would have been an easy test !

• Ok, I received a new LED display yesterday, but it unhappily does not solve my problem. Would Anyone have an idea of what to check next, now that we know the LED display is not faulty?

• Hi @gol - is it exactly the same with the new display. I.e. no new behaviour?
    Can you try disconnecting the main motor connector where it joins the wiring to the battery holder. This is located on the rear frame stay. You will probably need to remove cable ties to gain enough access. But fully 'unmake' that connection and then remake it. It will need a VERY firm and positive push (remember to line up arrows on each part of connector). Probably 2 clicks. Then try again. It now seems the motor/battery is not communicating properly with the display and that on an AM1 was almost always resolved by unmaking and remaking that connection.

• I too face similar issue....there is no change in the speed and kilometers

image.jpg

This post was edited Sep 12, 2020 03:44PM
  • On top of it the battery shows 3 points though it is fully charged and on the battery it shows as full. See the pictures. My display settings values are according to the recommended values for AMX classic/step

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thank you @CJM1066 !! Cutting the links, disconnecting and pluging them again did the trick for the speed problem on the display. Yeah !!!!

One question though. Is it normal that the pins have different lengths ?
    I still have the lights/power leakage issue though. I will test drive it more thoroughly tomorrow, but it seems the assistance keeps on pushing after 25 km/h even on 1st level of assistance.

20200913_182232.jpg

This post was edited Sep 14, 2020 10:55AM
  • OK, so after the test drive, the bike works fine, except for the lights issue.
    I was surprised, like others, that it seems to work on an all or nothing basis until 25km/h and with very subtle (if any) difference between the 1-5 assist modes. But I guess this is an issue of the type of assist rather than a defect.

@satyasekhar Did unplugging (after cutting the ties) and plugging back solve your problem?

This post was edited Sep 15, 2020 03:33PM