Power assist level setting (Not max speed setting)

Aug 25, 2020 - 5:04 PM

Viewed 1057 times

• Hi, I am perhaps in the not so common position of wanting LESS power from the AMX. Is there a setting that affects the amount of assist?

I know the P10 function of the display sets the speed limit (by the way, this came from the factory set at 128!!!) and I have set the P10 function at 5 as a temporary solution. However, my goal is not to restrict the top speed, is to enhance the effort required by pedaling.

Right now, I feel like the bike puts in 90% and I put in 10% effort. I would like to set it so it's closer to 50/50.

Can you help?

Edit:
    Looks like this has been solved! See here https://analogmotion.helpdocs.io/article/ehhs9zbkn6-my-amx-feels-too-powerful

Big thanks to AM!

This post was edited Oct 16, 2020 12:16AM
  • https://files.helpdocs.io/l3tsvrpr48/other/1596808942545/amx-display-manual.pdf

I found a link for the manual, I've adjusted the voltage from the default 36v to the lowest 24v ( 24, 36, 40, 60). Just by using the throttle I noticed quite a huge difference on the assist you get with the default setting and the battery also jumped from 2 bars to full battery. 👍

• Enzo A Perdomo:
    https://files.helpdocs.io/l3tsvrpr48/other/1596808942545/amx-display-manual.pdf
    I found a link for the manual, I've adjusted the voltage from the default 36v to the lowest 24v ( 24, 36, 40, 60). Just by using the throttle I noticed quite a huge difference on the assist you get with the default setting and the battery also jumped from 2 bars to full battery. 👍

I think that's the only way to adjust the level of assist you get. The manual only describes 5 of the 26 settings that you can change, so perhaps Analog Motion's develepers can help us configure the bike the way we want it by providing a manual...¿?

• Enzo A Perdomo:
    https://files.helpdocs.io/l3tsvrpr48/other/1596808942545/amx-display-manual.pdf

Have the same wish for a lower power assist level, so maybe will try this setting too. Did the battery level indicator show anything else other than being completely full when in use?

• @enzoaperdomo Good suggestion. Hope it does not cause damage to the motor. Would be nice if AM could confirm. In a separate thread, AM explained that they powered the AMX more aggressively after a disappointing experience with a Vanmoof. I appreciate the extra power to help flatten the hills around where I live, but I would love a lower speed setting so I don't flatten pedestrians as well! There's always Power Level 0 as a last resort, but I'd rather have low-level power assist

• I would also like less power at low levels of support. In their previous AM1 model, the level of support decreases as speed increases. For example, at level 3 you have a lot of power at the start but at 15km/h the power drops and at 20km/h it is barely felt anymore and you have to switch to level 4 if you want to go faster. In AMX, the bike at each level tries to reach 25km/h without reducing the power as the speed increases, and at 25km/h it cuts off the power rapidly.

• Hello people, I still haven't tried to use the bike on 24v instead of the default 30v. I wanted to get a feeling of the bike before changing any settings. Today on my way to work, I was thinking on how maybe a higher gear would help reducing the feeling of the motor pushing hard. We would still reach max speed, perhaps even faster now, but the harder gear would probably match the power output of the motor. It might also help with at going over the max speed without spinning out and jumping up & down the seat, when at pedaling at high cadence. Perhaps someone that lives on a flat area could test this hypothesis lol. I have lots of hills on my route and the easier gear it's perfect for going uphills on a dead battery so I'm probably not going to change it. But I'm still interested if that would help on reducing the hard push of the motor.

• .... I've also noticed how the power of the motor it's considerably reduce when on low battery. At low battery lvl 1 actually feels like lvl 1, so perhaps there's a setting or mode that tells the battery how much output to give when on a certain battery percentage. Has anyone else noticed that?

• Enzo A Perdomo:
    .... I've also noticed how the power of the motor it's considerably reduce when on low battery. At low battery lvl 1 actually feels like lvl 1, so perhaps there's a setting or mode that tells the battery how much output to give when on a certain battery percentage. Has anyone else noticed that?

Hi Enzo, I think this a normal behaviour not linked to a specific setup, but due to the lower voltage of battery when in lvl 1. At this charge level, the battery is around 32v, whereas it is at 38v or 40v when fully charged. For a given amperage this is a very significant power difference. You can observe the same on other batteries appliances like RC cars for example.
    Having the same power at full and low charge would mean to limit the power delivered at full charge. But personally I really like the powerful boost when starting at full charge. Accepting the lower power a few kms further is the price to pay ..

• Hi,
    I also have this feeling of too high a level of assist. Did someone try to lower the setting to 24v ? Can anyone please confirm whether it is safe for the electric engine ?

• The silence from AMX on this topic speaks loudly. A little guidance and insights in the workings of the controller + power calibration would be helpful to many.

• It seems that some controllers can be reprogrammed (https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/).
    That could be a solution for the most adventurous of us. Any one up for a tutorial ?

screenshot.jpg

• I've nearly finished the customisation on my classic LE and I've the exact same feeling as those above: level 1 is already higher than what you'd expect, if you go faster, it scales better but at lower speeds it is pretty aggressive.

Hopefully AM provides some way to tune it be it with a compatible display from other manufacturers that enables customisation!