[FIXED] Front wheel instalation and brakes

Aug 14, 2020 - 3:18 PM

Viewed 917 times

• Hi. I'm can't get the front wheel installed so that the wheel turns without the disc rubbings on the pad

• The instalation video makes it look very simple.
    However it doesn't show you what to do with the two washes on each fork.
    Do I put one on either side of the form? Why does one of the washers have a little hook on it?

• Also the front brakes are set up out the box so that the lever touched the hand grip without being able to fully stop the wheel for turning. How do I adjust this?

• I put the washes outside for each side - don't know if they have any special function.

If your brake lever touches the hand grip before the brake force is enough, you have two (three) options.
    Option one: adjust the inner brake pad. take the fitting Allen key to adjust that silver disk-like part on the inner side of the brake.
    Option two: adjust the cable length (brake lever adjustment). you've got a screw-ish thing on the cable outlet of your brake lever. rotate it, so it comes out some bit (not too much, it has still to be well into the lever thingy!) after adjusting this, you fasten it by rotating the flat disk-nut back towards the lever as hard as you can do with your finger's medium high force.
    (Option three: if you have to adjust one and two too much to get a good brake feel, you should retighten the cable itself. you can do that by slightly losening the cable on the brake (allen key), pulling it some millimeters farther and fasten the bolt again. Then redo or undo steps one/two again to your wishes.)

If you couldn't do it with this description, please go for the sake of safety to a professional bike shop, they`ll do it in no time.

yours,
    Keltainen

• It’s the same for me. Has anyone an idea?

This post was edited Aug 17, 2020 07:27PM
  • Same question and also, the video doesn’t show or tell to unscrew the bolts. I did it (with a lot of difficulty since it need 2 spanners) but I’m not sure if it’s right.
    What I’m going to do is put one wash on each side as you can see from the space on the picture.

I’m also not sure how to position the brake.

Lot of questions for this part.

image.jpg

This post was edited Aug 19, 2020 04:15PM
  • I had the same issue. I was able to fix it by making sure the caliper bolts were torqued properly. I could not get them tight enough with the tools provided, so the caliper kept moving when I would brake.
    Using my torque wrench to the recommended setting allowed me to get it tight enough so it wouldn't move. This fixed my rubbing issue.

• @kaylazeno what is the correct torque setting for the caliper bolts?

Also is the issue of brake rubbing caused by a bent rotor or something in the calipers? Thanks!

• I also had the same issue like many others here. I finally gave up in trying to adjust the brakes myself and handed the bike to a repair-shop. The repair-guy had to straighten the front disc that was bent, no wonder I didn't manage to adjust the brake without the disc rubbings myself.

• Matt Lowery (@mattlowery):
    The instalation video makes it look very simple.
    However it doesn't show you what to do with the two washes on each fork.
    Do I put one on either side of the form? Why does one of the washers have a little hook on it?

I left them both outside, since they more or less fit the frame, look at my photo. If AM can confirm who guessed it right that would be great (both washers outside or one on either side)

front-axel-washers.jpg

• Hey guys, those washers are called safety washers and they are supplied by default with our wheels, they are not needed with your AMX as we opted for a fork with a nut stopper. You can either remove them or put them on the outside of the fork, same as Adrian's picture.

We also have a new guide for the disc you can check it here:
    https://analogmotion.helpdocs.io/article/60noidsbb5-amx-disc-brake-adjustment-and-troubleshooting

This post was edited Dec 2, 2020 11:29AM